Hello, and welcome to the family support page.
My name is Joanne Phillips and I am the family support worker here at Kelvin Grove. My service is aimed at supporting families, as your children move through the school in becoming confident and satisfied members of the school community.
As a pupil at Kelvin Grove Community Primary School, your child will very quickly come to know that if they have a problem, there are lots of adults who will listen to them. They also have the opportunity to come and see me.
My service includes:
- Support with behaviour problems… if you’re struggling with behaviour, you are not alone, lots of families have found the service to be a real help.
- Childhood anxiety and self-esteem problems… sometimes we worry that our children are lacking in confidence or struggling in school. Please don’t hesitate to let us know as it is an absolute priority that your children are happy whilst in our care. There are a number of interventions that have proved successful in developing positivity in children, these include: one to one and small peer group work and family support.
- Guidance on all aspects of wellbeing, friendship issues, bullying, anger, bereavement, separation or any of the potential barriers to a child and family’s wellbeing.
I will be looking to further update this page to include news on Family events, holiday clubs, helplines and services… I also aim to update you about the general goings on via blog posts.
LEADING PARENT PARTNERSHIP AWARD UPDATE
“Working with parents to make a difference”
We have kept you updated over the last 18 months about our journey to be accredited with the Leading Parent Partnership Award. An award which recognises our commitment to family learning and the strong partnership which exists between home and school.
We would like to thank all our parents and carers at Kelvin Grove, who over the last year or so, have either joined a focus group or completed one of our questionnaires or visitors’ surveys to help us to continue to improve the service we offer to all our families and the wider community.
In direct response to your feedback, we have either delivered, or plan to deliver the following:
- Family Learning with a focus on supporting your child with the New Maths Curriculum
- A Health based course, in partnership with Healthy Gateshead (The first of it’s kind in the region!)
- Peer/Parent translation to support new EAL arrivals in our school
- A focus group to meet half termly for a coffee and a chat to discuss school issues and exchange ideas
- A uniform swap shop
- School fund raising initiatives
- New internal signage which has been sanctioned, following feedback from parents that school can present as a maze to visitors!
- The relocation of external parent notice boards
- Parent Partnership with Gateshead Library and St Chads
- Family Nurturing Course
- School Nurse/ Healthy Gateshead
- ESOL Family Learning Course – 3 courses have been successfully delivered so far and more are planned to meet high demand!
- New vocational courses for parents, e.g. Health and Safety, First Aid (certificated course) and Confidence Building.
- Pupil Survey – What do our children want for family support? Watch this space….!!
- Curriculum information sharing – see New National Curriculum overview on this website
- EAL Support with Home Learning
- A celebration of our diverse culture and religious festivals at Kelvin Grove
- A variety of meeting times offered to accommodate the varying commitments of our parents and carers