At Kelvin Grove, we strive to provide thoroughly engaging experiences for children throughout the school so that they can read, write and speak fluently, communicating their ideas and emotions to others. Through our reading curriculum, we take every opportunity to offer an experience that opens a door and immerses every child into a world of captivating, high quality texts. Through the Talk for Writing Process, we provide constant and consistent high quality opportunities within reading, writing, storytelling, poetry, drama and discussion.
Our Aims for English at Kelvin Grove are:
- To provide a language-rich environment that promotes a culture of reading and writing;
- To develop in pupils an interest in and a love of books and literature that will not only support their learning across the curriculum but also enrich their lives;
- To value and use books as a basis for learning and pleasure.
- To teach children the craft of writing and empower them with vocabulary in order to develop the confidence and skills to write well for a range of purposes and audience;
- Teach the basics – grammar, spelling, handwriting and punctuation – to liberate creativity;
- To foster in pupils the confidence, desire and ability to express their views and opinions both orally and in writing;
We are committed to ensuring that all children make excellent progress in their knowledge, skills, understanding and general confidence.
At Kelvin Grove Primary School, reading is at the heart of all that we do. Our aim is to encourage a love of books and for all children to leave our school as fluent and avid readers. Here at Kelvin Grove Primary School we use ‘Letters and Sounds’, which is the government programme for teaching phonics and high frequency words.
Phonics sessions are taught daily and last 20 minutes. Children are grouped according to the phase in which they are working. Sessions are interactive and fast-paced to ensure children make rapid progress. Your child will bring new sounds and ‘tricky’ words home as they learn them and regular practise of these will support their learning.
Letters and Sounds is a 6-phase programme. We currently follow the scheme to phase 5 then the children begin the RWI Spelling programme.
Remember, each child is individual and will learn at their own pace. The year groups indicated beside each phase are just a guide.