Our menus are carefully developed to appeal to children and provide the perfect balance of essential nutrients – and to offer them the chance to try a few dishes they may not have tried before. Your child can choose from four main meal options; meat or fish, vegetarian, jacket potato or sandwich/wrap with a choice of tasty fillings. Additional salad and bread is also on offer each day along with a dessert of the day, a selection of yoghurts, cheese and crackers and fresh fruit.
healthy eating is at the heart of our menu
In our dinner hall, we encourage our children to be responsible and respectful towards each other and staff by being polite and having good table manners.
Special dietary requirements
If your child has a special dietary requirement – such as diabetic, coeliac, low fat and dairy intolerances or a food allergy – we will be happy to plan and provide a school meal that meets your child’s needs.
We also adapt menus to meet religious or cultural needs.
School meals are a healthy, balanced choice however, if you would like to send a packed lunch then here are some tips and ideas to keep it healthy.
According to NHS choices a balanced lunchbox should contain:
- Starchy foods like bread, rice, potatoes or pasta
- Protein foods like meat, fish, eggs or beans
- A dairy item, like cheese or yogurt
- Vegetables or salad and a portion of fruit
Am I entitled to free school meals?
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 they will be entitled to free school meals.
Key Stage 2 children may be able to get free school meals if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If this applies to you, please call the Free School Meals Section at Gateshead Council on 0191 4333729.